Marika Meyer Demystifies When to Hire a Design Pro | Arts & Culture
Along with two other top designers, Marika Meyer discusses reasons to hire an interior designer
Hiring an interior designer has often been thought of as a luxury. But in reality, a designer can save you time and money.
Interior Designer Marika Meyer joined designers Barbara Hawthorn and Skip Sroka at the Washington Design Center last week to Demystify Interior Design. Moderated by Washingtonian Senior Editor Sherri Dalphonse, the discussion focused on when and why you should hire a designer.
According to Meyer, designers offer:
- knowledge of scale, proportion, lighting and color
- added value by preventing costly mistakes with inappropriate or ill-fitted purchases
- high-end goods priced well below retail
- education about quality – when to save on an item by purchasing lower end and when to splurge
- budget advice
- ability to mix high and low end items to create a comfortable environment.
Starting her residential design firm in 2007 after six years in the design industry, Meyer begins a project by considering her client’s lifestyle and taste, then referencing the architectural integrity of each project. This creates harmony among structure and decor.
Meyer, a native Washingtonian, was among the 2012 DC Design House designers, creating a soothing Morning Room replete with shades of blue and citrus that artfully blended practical luxury and functional beauty. She was named a “Hot Talent” by Home & Design magazine in 2011 and has been nominated twice as “One to Watch” by the Washington Design Center, winning this year. Her work has been featured in The Washington Post, Martha Stewart Living Radio, Northern Virginia magazine and Fox 5, among others.
Photos of Marika Meyer's Morning Room in the DC Design House by Angie Seckinger.
Top Poolesville Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- The Independent Collection Maps a New Course for Destination Travel
- Boffi & Maxalto Now Offer a Lifestyle Concept in Georgetown Showroom
- The 2013 DC Design House “Bear” Bones Tour Provided a Glimpse Into the 24 Designers’ Inspirations
- Swank Designs brings locally-made custom panels and pillows to area homes
- Allie Mann of Case Design/Remodeling Creates Seuss-tacular Tree for 2012 Georgetown Jingle